The PV design-and-installation course has been presented to more than 2000 electricians and engineers in the energy sector since 2015. Through access to PQRS data and market intelligence the Excel PV installer and designer course is more than just the average course. During the presentation consideration is given to what competitors are doing, costs per kWh, SLA’s and how EPC’s remain competitive.
This 2 day solar PV design-and-install course is an accredited training course and was designed to address the need for people, organisations or small businesses that require information on sizing, assessing and the installation of solar PV Systems
Who Should Attend
The course content is ideal for experienced candidates, engineers and electricians as well as organisations and small business that are considering approaching the Renewable energy Sector.
There are no formal prerequisites . Excitement about renewable energy an eager mind and willingness to participate will help you succeed in completing the assessment. A compilation of straight forward calculations and relative knowledge of electrical principles will be an added advantage.
Excel is a 2-day instructor led training programme which comprises of both a theoretical and practical component. At the end of each session students will be required to complete a formal summative assessment with a passmark of 80% in order to move to the next level.Interaction is promoted through continuous dialogue with questions and answers.
What Learning will take place
A Face-to-face learning environment and consists of approximately 200 slides, broken down into:
- Concepts / Principles
After having attended this course, students should have a clear understanding of the fundamentals of a solar PV system, including various components, brands, and functions of equipment.
- Have a better understanding of the commercial market in SA.
- Differentiate or assess differences between what could potentially be good and poor quality equipment.
- Know how PV technologies differ and identify different technologies
- Know how storage technologies differ from an application point of view
- Know how storage technologies differ from a technology point of view
- Perform calculations relevant to the design of a system i.e. battery cost of energy equation, load calculation, power and energy calc, module string calculation, series and parallel calculation, temp co-efficient calc, volt drop, number of batteries required, nr of modules required.
- Understand the impact of heat on modules and size a string
- Know the basic differences in types of systems & applications
- Different types of inverters
- Available module technologies
- Terminating and connecting conductors
- Determine whether it is viable to go Off-grid or grid tied
- Combiner boxes, fuses.
- How to use and where to apply - Power vs energy
- Standards & electrical regulations applicable to solar PV and storage installations
- Safety with PV installations
- Candidates attending are given a PV Installation C.o.C spreadsheet
- Experience the touch and feel of different components as various samples are made available, to pass around.
- As an added bonus, we explore market statistics and consider how data can be used to further business development.
What certification will I receive?
At the end of each session students will receive a certificate of attendance that holds 2CPD points and on completion on the summative assessment learners will each receive a test certificate from the Association of Renewable Energy Practitioners.